We know that boarding school is a new experience for many of our students.
Our boarding team is committed to making Nobel International School Algarve a “home away from home” for both new students and those already familiar with boarding school.
We offer constant supervision to ensure the safety of our students. From Monday to Friday, our boarding school staff is present 24 hours a day during weekends and holidays, between 15:00 and 09:00. The boarding staff makes sure that all students have the time and space to do their homework and that they receive support whenever necessary. Our internship team is committed to:
- establish an example of civility, tolerance and responsibility
- show equal respect and attention to all, under any circumstances
- respecting students’ right to privacy, such as knocking on the door before entering the rooms
- encourage all students to participate in boarding activities
- being committed to the values and standards of boarding school
- ensure a warm, home-like atmosphere and a positive atmosphere at any time
Additional Academic Support
All of our boarding school tutors, resident and non-resident, have a degree in Pedagogy and several years of professional experience. They are present at boarding school during non-school hours, understand the individual needs of each student and offer both guidance and an attentive ear. They supervise homework, accompany free time and ensure that our students enjoy the various moments of leisure and fun.
Family Visits and Contacts
We recommend that parents of in-house students visit them only during school holidays, so as not to destabilize school life. There is ongoing communication between the school and parents through a monthly report. In case of illness, inappropriate behavior or other unpredictable incidents, parents will be informed immediately.
We realize that living with other students can be challenging and requires patience, consideration and diplomacy. All internal students are encouraged to report all inappropriate behavior before it becomes a greater risk. When these cases come to the attention of a student or board member:
- Students involved in an incident meet with the Principal of the School, with tutors and witnesses. Most of the first incidents are resolved in a non-disciplinary manner, but in the most serious cases sanctions can be taken.
- All interested parties should write a report on the incident.
- If the bully continues its action and the victim continues to feel hurt, a formal disciplinary procedure will be applied.
- Parents are kept fully informed during the process.
- A questão do bullying dentro do internato é revista regularmente nas reuniões de equipa. Foi criado um Conselho de Internato, composto por três alunos eleitos, para educar os alunos a serem responsáveis por si e pelo próximo. O Conselho oferece uma orientação geral sobre vários aspetos do dia-a-dia e do trabalho em equipa, incluindo, conduta, código de vestuário, telemóveis, assuntos informáticos, lavandaria e higiene e sobre outros assuntos que sejam necessários.
Saudades de Casa
As saudades são normais e muitas vezes são desencadeadas assim que o entusiasmo inicial diminui e surgem os primeiros desafios. Os sinais de saudade incluem telefonemas excessivos ou e-mails, pedidos para ir para casa, recusa em fazer parte de atividades organizadas, isolamento e sinais evidentes de infelicidade.
Como pais, é importante perceber que esta é uma parte natural do processo de ajustamento. A maioria dos alunos passa por um período de saudade durante os primeiros tempos do internato. Fazer novos amigos e confidentes na nova escola leva tempo, mas as saudades de casa são, geralmente, temporárias.
Para ajudar o seu filho a superar as saudades de casa:
- Reconheça os sintomas logo de início e esteja preparado para falar e, ainda mais importante, para ouvir o seu filho.
- Estabeleça um horário para ligar para casa, de maneira a criar uma sensação de normalidade e segurança longe de casa.
- Encoraje o seu filho a envolver-se. Faça perguntas sobre as atividades extracurriculares do seu filho e dos seus clubes e desportos.
We will carefully follow your progress together. When approached in a sensitive and positive way, most cases of homesickness are overcome in a few weeks.
We strongly recommend that the Internship Director be informed of any special circumstances that may affect the student’s life at school, however trivial they may appear. It is important that our team is aware of any problems that may have occurred at school or at home so that they can be resolved in a sensitive and expeditious manner and that all necessary support can be provided.